Pupil Premium & Sports Premium
Adobe Reader may be required
What is the Pupil Premium?
Pupil Premium funding is allocated to schools to enable them to support children from low-income families who are eligible for free school meals, and looked after children.
Pupil Premium is also made available for pupils who have been eligible for free school meals (FSM) at any point in the last 6 years (‘Ever 6’) and children from families in the Armed Forces.
The intention is that the grant will be used to enable all children to make good or better progress in comparison with their peers – to ‘close the gap’ through whatever means is most effective for individual children.
The spending and impact of this grant is monitored by the Governor committee with responsibility for finance.
Objectives in spending Pupil Premium funding at Handcross Primary School
- to raise attainment in key skills, in particular reading, writing and maths
- to enhance the curriculum, and to ensure that all children are able to participate
- to aid inclusion and support each child's well being
- to break down barriers to learning such as low self-esteem or anxiety
Details of Support for Pupil Premium children 2017-18 (PDF)
Details of Pupil Premium Impact 2016-17 (PDF)
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing additional funding to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools. Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.
How are Handcross Primary School using the Sports Premium funding?
We were allocated £9000 in 2016-2017 through the Sports Premium funding and in this academic year, the allocation has been increased to £18,060. After careful consideration it was decided that the funds should be spent in the following areas:
- To develop our Sports Crew and train them each year to support PE activities
- To provide CPD for new teachers in all areas of PE with special emphasis on gymnastics and dance this year
- To monitor and encourage high levels of good quality physical activity throughout the school aiming for 5 hours in the juniors and 4 hours for years 1 and 2.
- To ensure a broad range of physical activity is provided to meet many children’s interests extending to kin ball and fencing this year.
- To further develop intra and inter School competitions and widen participation and range of sports in these competitions. This includes a focus on better provision of transport to these events.
- To encourage more reluctant children to be inspired by different physical activities and provide some varied alternatives for them.
- To monitor our PE provision and ensure children continue to be inspired by its content and ensure high levels of enjoyment and motivation. This includes: extending our house competition to infants and introducing the ‘Keep Fitter’ of the week award in both infants and juniors to inspire greater incentive and enthusiasm.
- To develop water confidence in children whose parents do not provide this and to ensure their children are in a better state of swimming readiness when they receive lessons later on in school.
2017-18 Sports Premium Action Plan (PDF)
2016-17 Sports Premium Action Plan (PDF)