Forest School places an emphasis on outdoor, child-led learning, enabling children to expand their knowledge of themselves, others and the environment by taking part in hands-on activities in a safe, natural setting.
We are fortunate to have Nymans Woods (owned by The National Trust) a short walk away from school.
Activities vary from group to group and season to season, but sessions might include:
- Den building
- Learning how to build and light campfires
- Campfire cooking e.g: flat breads, roasting chestnuts, making hot chocolate, campfire pizzas
- Woodland inspired art, craft and woodwork projects
- Team building games
- Exploring and playing in the woods
- Developing interests, understanding and respect for the living things around the wood
- Making new friends and working with children from another year group
- Learning to use tools and equipment
- Promoting and developing confidence, self esteem & independence
Leon and Archie (Y4) have kindly said they will write about their experiences of and enthusiasm for Forest School. We await their contributions.
In the meantime we received the following kind words from Phil, Nymans Forest Ranger:
I must say that all of the children coming to Forest School have been excellently behaved all year. They’re a credit to the school!