Behind the scenes, there is a hardworking team of Governors committed to making Handcross Primary School as good as possible.
Many of them are parents who are often available at the beginning and end of the day.
If you have any concerns, you are very welcome to make an appointment to meet with a Governor at any time.
THE ROLE OF THE GOVERNING BODY
The main responsibility of the school’s Governing Body is to support and challenge the head teacher to improve the education of the children.
At Handcross, the Governing Body operates with 4 committees and consists of 10 members.
- The headteacher
- A staff governor (elected by the staff)
- An LA governor (appointed by WSCC)
- 2 parent governors (elected by the parents)
- 5 co-opted governors (1 current vacancy)
The functions of the Governing Body are:
- Defining the strategy for the school, including its ethos and objectives
- Agreeing and monitoring the School Development Plan
- Meeting statutory duties relating to Health and Safety, Safeguarding and Curriculum content, among others.
- Appointment of the head teacher when necessary
- Carrying out Performance Management for the head teacher
- Monitoring attainment of the pupils
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Being involved with school self-evaluation
- Approving and monitoring the budget
- Ensuring value for money is obtained for the school
The Governing Body meets its statutory duties through a series of meetings and visits to the school. The formal meetings are of both the full Governing body, which meets at least 4 times a year, once at the start of each school year and at the end of each term, and of the committees which also meet at least once per term. Governors are required to sign a Code of Conduct which sets out the expectations and duties required from Governors. An Annual Statement/Report is prepared each year summarising the previous academic years' achievements.
Governor’s Details and Register of Interests (pro-forma):
You are welcome to contact our Chair of Governors, Dominic Moorhouse, by email or via Mrs Mel Vallance our Clerk to Governors at the School:The Governing Body of Handcross Primary School (Confidential) FAO Dominic Moorhouse (Chair)
Handcross Primary SchoolLondon Road, HandcrossHaywards Heath, West Sussex RH17 6HBemail: firstname.lastname@example.orgTel: 01444 400291