PE & Sports Premium
What is the Sports Premium?
Schools have a central role to play in supporting all children and young people to live healthy active lives. This is particularly true of primary school where the foundations of positive and enjoyable participation in regular physical activity should be established.
Crucial to achieving this is ensuring that pupils have access to at least 30 minutes of physical activity during the school day, alongside high-quality PE provision taught by confident and knowledgeable teachers and opportunities to experience and participate in a wide range of sports and physical activities. The PE and sport premium grant funding should be used by schools towards these aims.
Schools must use the funding to develop or add to the PE, sport and physical activity they provide, as well as make additional and sustainable improvements, following the 5 key indicators:
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Broader experience of a range of sports and physical activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- providing staff with professional development, mentoring, appropriate training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively to all pupils and embed physical activity across your school
- embedding physical activity into the school day through encouraging active travel to and from school, active break times and holding active lessons and teaching
- providing targeted activities or support to involve and encourage the least active children
- raising attainment in primary school swimming to meet requirements of the national curriculum before the end of key stage 2
How are Handcross Primary School using the PE and Sports Premium funding?
In the academic year 2022-23, we have been allocated allocated £18,600 by the government's PE and Sports Premium funding.
We intend to spend the funding on the following areas:
- To monitor and encourage high levels of good quality physical activity throughout the school, aiming for 5 hours in the Juniors and 4 hours for years 1 and 2. This includes funding staff for Keep Fit at lunchtimes.
- To have new playground markings to encourage more opportunity for physical activity and creative play at playtimes, in lessons and as part of 'brain breaks'.
- To continue our Mid Sussex Active membership which offers CPD for all staff.
- As part of Mid Sussex Active, to partake in 'festivals' and competitions with other local schools. Children from all year groups and abilities have opportunities to partake in these events, including Girls Get Active, Boccia Festival, KS1 Multi-sports and Hockey.
- To review our membership of Complete PE, an online resource used to support the planning and teaching of PE for teachers.
- To offer an Outdoor and Adventurous Activities (OAA) trip to Blacklands Farm for all Year 3 and 4 in the Spring term whereby the costing will be subsided.
- To provide additional swimming sessions in the Summer term for Year 5 and 6 children who have not yet achieved the National Curriculum aims for swimming.
- To run an after-school Active Club for Year 4 and 5 children who are less active/more reluctant and would benefit from additional opportunities to develop their skills.
- To provide extra-curricular after-school clubs for children, such as Year 3/4 netball, Year 5/6 netball, outdoor club and gardening club.
- To enable all Year 4 children (and some Year 6 children as helpers) to attend at least 5 sessions of Forest School, delivered by two TAs and a ranger at Nymans.
- 2016 17 PE Action Plan
- 2017 18 Sports Premium and PE funding Evidence and impact
- 2018 19 Evidencing the Impact of Primary PE Sport Premium
- 2019 20 Evidencing the Impact of Primary PE and Sport Premium
- 2020 21 Evidencing the impact of the Primary PE and sport premium
- 2021 22 Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium